|Search the Knowledgebase
||Browse by Category
HowTo: Running a FlexLM License Server
Our software is license key protected, using 2 types of licenses:
uncounted test licenses and counted licenses, which is the standard key
type after the test period.
|Thank you for rating this answer.
Counted licenses are managed by a license server, available from our download page.
Install the License Server
- First, please download the BioSolveIT flexlm package from our download page. Select the suitable package corresponding to your operating system.
- Login to the computer, where you want to run the license server, as system administrator.
- Extract the package; we recommend the following destination:
See How To: Unpack download packages if you are unsure on how to handle the downloaded package.
- See chapter 9 "lmadmin License Server Manager" in package file license/doc/fnp_LicAdmin.pdf. The following steps in this faq entry are just a quick walkthrough.
the graphical installer for lmadmin. You will find the installer in the
license/bin subdirectory of the just extracted package.
Requirements: You must have Java Runtime Environment installed.
Double-click on the installer executable named "lmadmin-...exe"
In a shell, execute the installer lmadmin.
If you don't have X (a graphical window system) installed on your linux license server machine:
a shell, mkdir (make directory) and cd (change directory) to the
desired installation directory for the license server; we recommend /opt/biosolveit/license/server.
We assume you installed the flexlm package to /opt/biosolveit, so the
lmadmin installer can be found under
/opt/biosolveit/license/bin/lmadmin. The '%' character denotes
the shell prompt:
% mkdir -p /opt/biosolveit/license/server
% cd /opt/biosolveit/license/server
% /opt/biosolveit/license/bin/lmadmin -DUSER_INSTALL_DIR=$(pwd) -i silent
Now, you will find an executable lmadmin in the current working directory. Just start this executable in the shell:
this command, a webserver for the license administration interface via a
webbrowser will be started. You can ignore the output; you
will find each logging output in the logs subdirectory.
If you want to specify the http port, start lmadmin with the option -webPort to override the default port 8080, e.g. to specify port 12345:
% lmadmin -webPort 12345
option to lmadmin must be specified only once. The option
value will be remembered the next time lmadmin is started.
Setup the License Server via the Webinterface
- Start your favorite web browser
the webinterface url, consisting of the license server's machine name
and the web port number, e.g. http://our-license-server-machine:12345
- In the upper right corner click on Administration
- First, you have to specify a new password, the preset credentials are admin/admin.
- In the tab Server Configuration: In User Interface / License Models Displayed in Dashboard select Concurrent and Save
- In the tabbar on the left click on Vendor Daemon Configuration.
- A vendor daemon "demo" is pre-installed for demonstration purpose. Please click on "Delete" to remove this entry.
- Click on the button at the top Import License
- Select the license file, make sure the extension is ".lic"
- Check Overwrite License File on License Server
- Click Import License
- The following message should appear:
- Click OK
- Vendor daemon BIOSOLVE is now registered, it will be displayed as "BIOSOLVE NEVER_STARTED 0.0 Administer Delete"
- Click Administer
- Specify full executable path of vendor daemon BIOSOLVE from the flexlm package. Enter location, click Save, then Start:
- Go back to Dashboard (in the blue navigation bar on top). Now you will see an overview of all license keys and their current usage.
For any further help please refer to the online documentation by clicking Help in the upper right corner.
Comment #1 (Posted by Anonymous)
Answer from Support:
BIOSOLVE_LICENSE_FILE is correct.